KwaDabeka Area - Week 16


First of all, this place is absolutely beautiful. It looks like something straight out of Avatar: The Last Airbender or something. Hills are everywhere, and the place glows green. The townships rest on the hillside and often we have to walk up narrow pathways and other cool things. I have never lived in a place like this before, and I still get blown away each time I look outside.

Since this is the province of Kwa-Zulu Natal, I am now in the land of the Zulu people. I'm doing my best to pick up some Zulu, since it is the custom around here and it's a beautiful language. The Zulu are a very warm people, and you greet them by extending both hands, shaking with your right and holding the bottom of your forearm with the left. It is hot and humid here, just like back home in FL. Some days the members don't have water so we go and carry these huge buckets to them. When we are finished we are covered in sweat!

My new companion is named Elder Hamilton. He grew up on a farm in Colorado. He loves the outdoors, especially fishing. He did wrestling in high school and likes to work out. He also cooks a lot, and is very kind and offers me food he cooks. My favorite thing about him is that he is a very hard working guy.

In KwaDabeka, there are hundreds of less active families. People that were converted and gained a testimony of this gospel and of our Savior, but fell away for various reasons. A big focus of the missionary work here is finding these people and doing our best to bring happiness and joy back into their life. We are starting up a reactivation program where we go with members of the church after Sundays to visit people. I am enjoying the service I am doing for the people here and I know God will bless them as they strive to come closer to him.

Matthew 18: 11-14 "For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost. How think ye? if a man have an hundred sheep, and one of them be gone astray, doth he not leave the ninety and nine, and goeth into the mountains, and seeketh that which is gone astray? And if so be that he find it, verily I say unto you, he rejoiceth more of that sheep, than of the ninety and nine which went not astray. Even so it is not the will of your Father which is in heaven, that one of these little ones should perish." As missionaries and representatives of Jesus Christ, we get the privilege of finding these lost people and bring them home safe! I love my calling.

Love,
Elder LaHue

Bridge to Phoenix!

Wyebank (An area next to KwaDabeka)

Berea (Durban Town)

Elder Hamilton