Maseru, Lesotho Area - Week 39

(Top Row): Elder & Sister Dransfield, President Johns, President & Sister Thompson, Elders Dos Santos, Hicks, Jeri, LaHue, Maughan, Groesbeck, Diehl
(Bottom Row): Elders Russell, Williams, Takau, Moore, Christensen
Lesotho Zone!


Today marks a special day in the history of Lesotho..... I'm having a son!!! President Thompson called Sunday night and told me that I am staying and training. Elder Hicks is leaving which is sad, but we had a ton of fun together. This will most likely mean I will stay in Khubetsoana for a total of 7 and a half months, meaning I can be a legend here haha. I am feeling a mixed blend of emotions, including joy, suspense, and worry. Sleep has not been on my side the last 2 nights. I don't know who my son is, even his name, but we are going to work freaking hard. Also Elder Dos Santos is training, so I get a brother! There are 4 of us training in Lesotho, including Dos, Elder Moore (who is next door), Elder Maughan (who is in my age group on mission) and I. Missionary work is going to blow up in this country!!


On Sunday we had the baptism of Ntebohiseng Phoofolo! We call her Sister Rasheleng. There were so many obstacles in the way of this; she was ready a few months ago. Rasheleng is a woman who I met with Elder Adams. Her 7 year old daughter, Mamello, is the cutest. She was prepared from the start, and by far the easiest person I have ever taught. She has a spectacular memory, one time she explained 1 Nephi 1-7 perfectly to us. The baptism was delayed because we were trying to figure out a situation dealing with traditional marriage. Finally things were worked out, but when we saw her on Saturday some complications arose. We fasted with her and her sister, who is a member. 



At church we were anxious but had the faith that things would work out. We went into a side room and she told us that the situation was taken care of and that she was ready! We broke our fast and rejoiced. At the service her sister, Motseliso, gave a talk. She spoke about how last year the district president challenged her to write down names of who she could share the gospel with. One of those names was Rasheleng's, and now we were at her baptism. That was one of the most emotional experiences I have had as a missionary. People were crying, and I was starting to tear up. I am so grateful that the Lord sent me to Maseru and that I could be a part of the miracles happening here.



For P-Day today we woke up at 5am to drive 3 hours to Semonkong. It is a huge waterfall in the middle of Lesotho. All 12 of the Lesotho elders came, plus my favorite senior couple, the Dransfields. We hiked down to the bottom of the waterfall, which was frozen over. There was ice and a bit of snow there!! Seeing snow in Africa made my whole mission. On the way back up Dos and I accidentally got separated from the group and were lost. We couldn't find the trail so we climbed up the side of the mountain. It was exhausting and we said a prayer for help. Eventually we found our way back and the Dransfield's provided a huge, delicious lunch! Quite the experience to say the least.



Something cool we did with Elder Takau was when we set up a media stand on a street in our area. We put up a table with pamphlets, Books of Mormon, and questions such as "Where am I going, why am I here, where did I come from". I brought my guitar and played some hymns while Takau played his ukelele. We even sang to some people! And it worked!! We were able to draw some interest from it and get some referrals.



Well, wish me luck. My son should get here at some point this week. Have a great week, and count your blessings!



Love,
Elder LaHue

Elder LaHue, Mamello, Sis. Rasheleng, Motseliso

Elder Takau

Elder Maughan


The bottom of Semonkeng!