Umbhedula Area - Week 102

Zanele & Ndumiso Shezi

We have had another great week! I am really feeling the spirit of missionary work these days. And I am excited for general conference.

Our man Mthokozisi is making great progress towards baptism. He is improving in trying to quit smoking. We taught him the law of chastity recently and he showed incredible faith in committing to live this law. He has a girlfriend whom he has a 3 year old child with. He told us that he will explain about the law of chastity with her and invite her to live by it. If she is not willing to live by it he said that he would break up with her so that he can keep the commandments of God. This is a powerful display of faith by him. Hoping that he can stop smoking so that he can be baptized on October 21st!

The 1st counselor in the branch presidency asked us to come teach his wife, who speaks little English. He told us that she has been taught on and off by missionaries since 2007 but now he feels that the time is right for her to be baptized. We met with the family last night and taught about the plan of salvation. His children taught different parts of the lesson to their mother. She told us that she has a desire to be baptized and we set a date with her for the 4th of November! Sadly I will miss it, but I am very happy that the Lord has prepared her and that she has accepted the gospel in her heart.

In other news, Sunday was a day of reunions for us. We got to travel to KwaMashu after church because Elder Cox was asked to baptized two guys he taught while serving there. It was a great experience for him and I got to meet some missionaries and a member I haven't seen a while! Also a member from KwaDabeka, Ndumiso, came to Umbhedula for church yesterday. I haven't seen him in over a year! Now he is married in the temple to a member from Umbhedula!! It makes me so happy to see old friends. I imagine that's how it will be when I see all of you soon!

Here is a picture of some jeqe (steambread) I cooked. Jeqe and beans is my favorite South African meal.

Sincerely,
Elder LaHue

Elders Shaw & Baker


Elder Chiromo @ Wimpy

My first batch of Jeqe! It tasted kind of sour. I'm sure I made a mistake.